Looking for an ideal place to live can sometimes be exhausting. One of the best ways to make your search seamless and stress-free is to gather the right information before you head to property viewings. While it’s true that you can count on a letting agent to provide you with essential information, doing a bit of research on your own will help you zero in on a home that’s more likely to meet every single one of your requirements and preferences.
It helps to know about any red flags you should watch out for, as well as the details you should know about when you ask important questions, so you’ll be able to make smart, well-informed decisions.
Here are some of the most important things to keep in mind if you’re searching for houses for rent in Fairfield County, CT:
Choosing a location
When you’re starting your search, one of the most important factors to consider is location. You want to make sure the home you’re going to rent is situated in a convenient location close to your workplace, shops and services, and other places you need to visit frequently.
Get information on all available transportation options in the area, such as bus stops and public commuter rails. If you plan to get around mainly by car, take a look at maps online to calculate driving commute time between places.
You can also make use of handy resources like WalkScore which will show you all the nearby shops, restaurants, groceries, parks, and other venues within a particular area.
Research crime statistics in the area
Choosing the right location isn’t just about commute time – don’t forget about safety as well. Crime levels directly affect a home’s rent price, but it’s never a good idea to choose a more affordable place if it could mean exposing yourself to potential danger.
You can drop by the nearest police station to get information on crime statistics in the area. You can also review crime reports and get information on the safety of a specific neighborhood by visiting websites such as CityProtect, AreaVibes, and NeighborhoodScout.
Get information on all expenses related to the property
Renting a home that has all utilities included is an excellent way to save time and money. Managing your monthly budget will be a lot easier when you don’t have to set aside extra cash to cover electricity or internet service.
Talk to your prospective landlord and find out whether or not utilities are included as part of the monthly rent. In case they are not, just go ahead and ask how much you should expect to pay for them.
What to look for during a property viewing
When attending a viewing, take time to inspect the property thoroughly in order to identify potential issues. In case you detect any problems, you can mention it as a condition in the contract that requires resolution, or simply reconsider your decision to rent that particular property.
- Exteriors – Check for any leaks or cracks in the property’s pipes, gutters, window frames, and walls. Find out if the property comes with an outdoor area or a garden which requires maintenance.
- Fittings – Check all light switches, and take note if there are enough electrical sockets for your needs. Check the taps if they’re in good working order, for both hot and cold water, and if the water pressure is satisfactory.
- Appliances – Take note of all appliances that come with the property, and make sure they are clean and functioning. In case you find any appliance that’s not in good working order, you can request a replacement from the landlord.
- Flooring – Wooden floors require regular cleaning and maintenance. Walk around and take note of how the floor “reacts” to every step, and whether they’re still good for regular use.
- Security – Check if the locks are working in every door and window, and see if all of them are able to close securely. Check to see if the property is equipped with adequate escape routes in case of fire, earthquakes, and other emergencies.
- Signs of mold or pests – Look for any signs of pests, such as unusual cracks or holes in the walls or droppings on surfaces or floors. Find out when the property was last treated for pests. Check damp areas such as bathrooms or the kitchen for any signs of mold. `
Ready to begin your search for the perfect home to rent? Get in touch with us at Fazzone & Harrison Realty today by calling 860.354.0479, or send an email to kharrison(at)fazzoneandharrisonrealty(dotted)com